Sunday, June 27, 2004

Novelnumbness

India in the mid-70s. Political turmoil :lightly put:. Rabid animal government = dispicable murderers :again, lightly put:. 714 pages of compelling fiction and I have to read the last page 3 times - I usually do. When I become absorbed in a book for so long I can never believe it is over. To aid my need for closure, I must also read the last sentence of prose again and again. And then sit there with the closed book for a minute or two before I can walk away.



“Holding this book in your hand, sinking back in your soft arm-chair, you will say to yourself: perhaps it will amuse me. And after you have read this story of great misfortunes, you will no doubt dine well, blaming the author for your own insensitivity, accusing him of whild exaggeration and flights of fancy. But rest assured: this tragedy is not a fiction. All is true.”

Honoré de Balzac, Le Père Goriot (epilogue)

I did no justice to the grace and transforming power of this book ... I'm still in the novelnumbness stage.



Btw ... 50TH POST!!! CONGRATS TO ME!!!

No comments: